I (Matt) caught wind of a unique rotisserie baseball format last year on Reddit: the single MLB club, two-team league. This year, I approached occasional Bucco’s Cove contributor Tim Vitullo (who also happens to be my friend) about doing this with the Pirates this year. We had some discussions and set the format and conducted our draft prior to the beginning of the regular season. We present to you: Bucco Brawlin’.
Due to my personal laziness and having nothing to do with Tim, this recap of our draft isn’t getting posted until now. Anyway, here is the league format:
- 2 Teams, Pirates players only
- No benches
- Starting lineup: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, CI, 3 OF, 1 U, 8 P (and 1 DL)
- ESPN player eligibility
- Offensive categories: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS
- Pitching categories: Appearances, K, W, ERA, WHIP, SV+HD
- Each team must fill every roster position
- Auction draft, $260 budget
- One MLB and one MiLB keeper per year, max two years ownership
- If a player is traded in real life, the team owning that player in the Bucco Brawlin’ league gets first stab at picking up any of the players who were traded for.
- Winner gets a good six pack of beer from the loser.
So those are the rules. With the DL spots, we more or less own the entire 40 man roster, with a few oddballs here and there. We each wrote a recap of our thoughts after the draft, which will be coming in subsequent posts. For now, I’m just posting the results of the draft so that you can think about this and digest things and wonder why we collectively had around $50 left on the table and why the hell we nominated guys in the order that we did. Tim nominated Jordy Mercer first and then we just went back and forth with nominations after that.
We’ll make this a regular column throughout the season, so look forward to more analysis and griping about what happened in this draft.
So this leaves use with the following rosters for each team:
|Matt (Clemente Bridge Bums)||Tim (Federal Street Fracas)|
|C||Francisco Cervelli||Elias Diaz|
|1B||Josh Bell||John Jaso|
|2B||Phil Gosselin||Josh Harrison|
|3B||David Freese||Jung-Ho Kang|
|SS||Gift Ngoepe||Jordy Mercer|
|MI||Max Moroff||Alen Hanson|
|CI||Jose Osuna||Ke'Bryan Hayes|
|OF||Gregory Polanco||Starling Marte|
|OF||Andrew McCutchen||Austin Meadows|
|OF||Adam Frazier||Barrett Barnes|
|U||Chris Stewart||Kevin Newman|
|P||Ivan Nova||Gerrit Cole|
|P||Daniel Hudson||Tyler Glasnow|
|P||Jameson Taillon||Chad Kuhl|
|P||Felipe Rivero||Antonio Bastardo|
|P||Trevor Williams||Tony Watson|
|P||Wade LeBlanc||Nick Kingham|
|P||Mitch Keller||Juan Nicasio|
|P||Drew Hutchison||Steven Brault|
More analysis of the draft will happen in the coming days, with posts from each of us with our thoughts from draft day. Stay tuned!